Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Superman and Journalism, all in one great movie!



Who could ask for anything more?
I just saw the new "Superman Returns" movie last night. I was going because I had heard many good things about it, and because Kayla was back from vacation (so the movie was infinitely better in that respect as well).
Ah where do I begin? The cast. Every person in this film is perfect. Clark/Superman (played by Iowa native Brandon Routh) handles the goofiness of Clark and the superb confidence of Superman extremely well, so much so that Lois Lane and her beau (Lois played by Kate Bosworth and Richard White, her financee by James Marsden) laugh as Richard notices some slight similarites between Clark Kent and Superman.
Despite being the main characters, they were all outdone by Kevin Spacey as the evil (and quite humorous) Lex Luthor. In the original 1978 Superman film, Luthor was played by Gene Hackman, and Spacey brought back the goofiness/creepyness of the original. Long close-up shots are very well-done, showing the emotions of all the actors at various stages of their emotional roller-coasters in the film.
The CGI effects are incredible, and probably why this film took around 200 million dollars to make. I do believe that is the most expensive movie to date...ever. There was only one shot in the entire 2 1/2 hour movie that I thought looked a little fake. Everything else, the waves, the water, the flying effects of Superman himself, various earthquakes, explosions, everything looked legit and photo-realistic.
The story was also quite imaginative. They didn't quite take the same route as the folks did with Batman Begins, with all the darkness and real-world grit, but they did add some very human (pun intended) qualities to Superman and Metropolis. There were several twists that totally threw me off the loop, as it did for many. There is one major twist, which I will not mention, that no one saw coming. You'll just have to go see it!
And of course, the wonderful Daily Planet. I can only hope I can get a job interviewing Superman once I become a journalist.
That was a joke. Hahahaha! Nevermind.

No comments:

Lawrence Weather