Monday, January 23, 2006

Question to the University

This post serves as a forum for asking the University of Kansas a question:
Who are you selling student email addresses to?
Let me explain myself. Every day I recieve three to five spam emails, ranging from bogus stock offerings to "enlargement" pills. If students recieve "free" email service and storage space, why must the university sell addresses? Imagine someone being gone on winter break for a month and not accessing the internet during that time (skiing trip or something like that). The number of spam emails that would pour in would destroy the available storage space and the student would not be able to recieve official university emails, including those about bills.
I will be sending the university a link and asking them to reply. Hopefully they won't ignore me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Caleb,

The university isn't selling your email address. Eventually everyone gets these sorts of emails, especially if your email address fits a predictable protocal. You can try to block them by setting your email to block email from the sender, but these guys are smart - they change their sender address regularly. There are internet virus packages (we use Norton Internet & Antivirus at home) that help block some of this stuff (they scan the content), but as Kathy has learned, they are creative in the way they type things. Right now I'm not getting much of it but whenever I get an email from someone I don't know (and these emails have a few telltale signs) I just delete it without reading it. By-the-way, the Norton Internet software (I think it is $40/year) is good at blocking offensive websites. They have a parental block which we installed to keep our kids from happening on bad sites.

Hope the Russian is going well. Hannah wants you to teach her some.

Uncle John

Lawrence Weather